After the austerity of winter, the colours, sounds, smells and tastes of spring come as a welcomed relief. Many times the newness of this season is the impetus for change which inspires a homeowner to try something new, or fall in love again with a beautiful old treasure. Below are my top tips for embracing the season that is all about a brand new start.
1. The trees are waking up from their long stupor; nature is suddenly alive with possibility once more. Now is the time to find quirky ways to invite nature’s bounty into your home. The ways to do so are myriad – try off beat wall hung pots, add a hook to your ceiling and hang a basket overflowing with foliage from it; spoil your dining table with an abundant over-sized bouquet. Go traditional or go quirky and bring some life into your space.
3. Trying a piece of furniture that might be considered ‘busy’ may be daunting, but taking a cue from nature in all its wild abundance can take the pain out of selecting statement pieces which add that bit of originality to your home. This Fornasetti piece with its butterfly reverse painted glass doors in a classic example of art imitating life to stellar effect.
4. Spring is a great time to go ga-ga for a bit of gingham. As an ironic foil to all things wild, try experimenting with the print in different scales to create something a little noteworthy, or if you are not feeling so bold, try gingham in smaller doses on cushions or as a cool yet casual curtain fabric.
5. Invest in some good quality bed linen that will elevate your mood every time you retreat to your bedroom. Gone is the heavy, functional bed ware of winter and in its place something a tiny bit lighter to help you elegantly bridge the transition between winter and summer. Always buy the best you can afford and consider sticking to neutrals for longevity’s sake.
6. Celebrate the abundance of life all around you by investing in a piece of animal sculpture. Collected in abundance and displayed the right way, animal themed pieces can become quite a talking point and add a romantic touch to your décor - especially if you happen to live in an urban jungle.
7. For a big, characterless walls, consider amping up the style with a floral mural. Not one for the shy and retiring, a mural can radically up the décor stakes in a thrifty and easy fashion. This pictured mural is simply spring-time personified.
8. For a non-evasive way to brighten up your scheme, look no further than your door knobs. Often an overlooked element in most schemes, refreshing the architectural element that you probably use most often can pay off dividends in making your home feel just that bit more special. Perhaps this spring you could consider something like these decidedly feminine beauties from Charles Edwards.
9. This spring, why not try a bug-themed rug? Not only can they look on an popping like in this pictured funky interior, but with luck your crazy cool rug might also keep the real thing at bay!